The legal name for Croatian citizenship by birth is called ‘citizenship by origin.’ According to the fourth article of the Croatian Citizenship Act (CCA), a person qualifies for Croatian citizenship by origin when one of the following requirements is fulfilled:
- You were born to a Croatian mother AND father.
- You were born to a Croatian mother or father, AND you were born in the Republic of Croatia.
- You were born to a Croatian mother or father and to a parent whose nationality is unknown or is not recognized by the Republic of Croatia, AND you were born abroad.
- You were adopted by Croatian parents.
- You are a minor (under 18 years of age) born abroad to at least one Croatian parent.
Other Legal Paths to Croatian Citizenship:
You can also obtain Croatian citizenship if you were born on the territory of the Republic of Croatia to unknown parents, or to parents of unknown citizenship.
Finally, you can also obtain Croatian citizenship through naturalization. To read more about the naturalization process, click here.