Dual Citizenship Sweden

Swedish citizenship is based primarily on jus sanguinis (right of blood). This means that Swedish citizenship is acquired for those born to a Swedish parent.

Sweden is a member of the European Union. Accordingly, Swedish citizens can travel and reside freely in any of the countries that are a part of the EU.

Sweden permits dual citizenship. However, for those Swedish citizens born outside Sweden and who are citizens of another country, they will lose Swedish citizenship at age 22 unless approval is granted to retain citizenship. Typically, approval is granted if the person has a Swedish-born parent, the person lived in Sweden, or the person makes regular visits to Sweden.

Sweden Dual Citizenship

How can you acquire Swedish citizenship?

Citizenship By City-of-birth


Those that fall into one of the following categories acquire citizenship at birth:

  • Your mother is a Swedish citizen (females have been able to pass on citizenship since July 1, 1979);
  • Your father is a Swedish citizen and married to your mother;
  • Your father is a Swedish citizen and you were born out of wedlock in Sweden.

For those born abroad to a Swedish father not married to the non-Swedish mother, they will acquire Swedish citizenship when the parents get married if the child is under age 18.

Citizenship By Naturalization


Those meeting the following requirements may apply for naturalization:

  • Must have a permanent residence permit and have resided in Sweden for at least 5 years, unless you are a citizen of a Nordic Council country. For European Economic Area citizens, limited residence permits for 5 years are equivalent to a permanent residence permit;
  • The 5 year residence requirement is reduced to 4 years for refugees and stateless persons;
  • Citizens of other Nordic Council countries are required to have only 2 years' residence;
  • Former Swedish citizens, employees on Swedish ships, employees employed abroad by Swedish corporation, those married to a Swedish citizen for at least 10 years, and those with a previous long residence in Sweden are exempt from the residence requirement.
Citizenship By Notification


Described as a simplified naturalization, notification is a more simple method of acquiring Swedish citizenship. The following categories of people are eligible for citizenship by notification:

  • Stateless persons who are permanent residences and one of the following: born in Sweden and under age 5, under age 18 and in the custody of a Swedish citizen, or age 18 or 19 and resident in Sweden since age 15;
  • Permanent residents and either under age 18 and resident in Sweden for 5 years or age 18 or 19 and resident in Sweden since age 13;
  • Former Swedish citizens who are permanent residents, age 18 or over, resident in Sweden for 10 years before age 18; resident in Sweden for the 2 years preceding the application. Former citizens who are citizens of other Nordic countries may acquire citizenship by notification immediately upon establishing residence in Sweden;
  • Citizens of other Nordic Council countries may be eligible if age 18 or over, the other Nordic citizenship has been acquired other than by naturalization, and 2 years' residence in Sweden.
Citizenship By Marriage


Those who have been married to a Swedish spouse for 10 years may apply for naturalization.

Citizenship By Adoption


Those adopted at younger than age 12 by a Swedish citizen automatically receives Swedish citizenship if these requirements are met:

  • The adoption is pursuant to a decision taken in Sweden or in another Nordic Council country;
  • The adoption is the result of a decision taken abroad and approved in Sweden by the Swedish Intercountry Adoptions Authority;
  • The adoption is valid under Swedish law;
  • The adoption was officially decided or approved after June 30, 1992.

Adoptees who are age 12 or older may apply for Swedish citizenship.